PROJECTS ARE BROKEN INTO TWO CATEGORIES: OTHERS & OURS
1. OTHERS refers to projects others have created and manage.
2. OURS refers to projects that Oysters Unlimited™ has created and manages.
PROJECTS OF OTHERS
Oysters Unlimited™ serves the existing projects & programs in 4 ways:
1. IDENTIFY & SHARE BEST PRACTICES among local and regional stakeholders in oyster habitat protection, preservation and restoration.
2. RAISE FUNDS & AWARENESS for entities, projects and programs already engaged in oyster reef restoration work and marine education.
3. Support & promotion of existing OYSTER SHELL RECYCLING PROGRAMS.
4. Support & promotion of existing OYSTOURISM PROGRAMS.
We have 4 distinct oyster projects of our own:
1. The creation of NEW OYSTER SHELL RECYCLING projects.
2. The creation of NEW OYSTER RESTORATION projects.
3. The creation of NEW OYSTOURISM programs.
4. CULINARY EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION for chefs and restauranteurs who have a desire to understand, source and serve oysters in the most effective ways. LEARN MORE HERE
Many of these will be the responsibility of newly formed CHAPTERS of Oysters Unlimited™
We exist to PROMOTE existing OysTourism opportunities and we work with state, county, municipal and private entities to develop NEW Oystourism opportunities. Click HERE to view an ever evolving collection of awesome oyster farms, amazing restoration projects, fantastic festivals, exciting marine science centers, elite oyster destinations, leading shellfish hatcheries & nurseries and outstanding oyster experiences (organized by region) that you can travel to, experience, support and enjoy. So, if you are traveling with Oysters In Mind, this will be a great resource for you to identify where to go and who to reach out to. A few of our favorites and some of the more organized offerings below:
Rhode Island Oyster Trail: http://www.rioystertrail.com
Virginia Oyster Trial: http://virginiaoystertrail.com
Oyster Trail of Maine: http://seagrant.umaine.edu/maine-oyster-trail
Hog Island Oyster Farm - Picnic: https://hogislandoysters.com/locations/marshall
Of course we support ALL existing oyster recycling programs and we'll do our best to showcase the best practices of each. Wherever there is shell to recover.
Soon we hope to begin the First Island-Wide Oyster Shell Recycling Program on Long Island in 2018. We'll present and promote it as O.Y.S.T.E.R. ISLAND. O.Y.S.T.E.R stands for "Offer Your Shell to Enhance Restoration" and is a phrase borrowed from our friends in Fort Walton, FL where they've created an outstanding oyster shell recycling program that has led to great restoration work.
Chefs & Restaurants who recycle their spent shell through these program should be "SHELLebrated" not just for their contribution to local coastal eco-systems, but for all the good things that come for recycling shell. What other things you ask? LEARN MORE HERE.
Long Island Chefs & Restaurants that are interested in helping us launch the O.Y.S.T.E.R. ISLAND initiative should reach out to us. Anyone with LAND (to cure the shell on), TRUCKS (to move the shell with), BINS (to collect shell), TIME (to help us) or MONEY (to donate), well, please contact us. The end goal is to create new habitats, fisheries, jobs and food from NEW or RESTORED oyster producing regions such that we can create viable, sustainable commercial shellfisheries that can support and feed a great many people, near and far.
COMING SOON - LONG ISLAND OYSTER TRAIL
This project was created and is managed by the Long Island Chapter of Oysters Unlimited™. Hopefully all of the Oyster Growers of Long Island will soon participate and make at least a few scheduled tours of their farms available to the public.
The LIOTrail will also point travelers in the direction of Elite Oyster Destinations, particularly those who recycle their shell in the O.Y.S.T.E.R. ISLAND program. Finally, we hope to direct volunteers to some of the oyster restoration or beach clean up activities we have going on all over Long Island.
We hope to develop and promote Oyster Trails in many other regions as well. If you'd like to be involved please reach out to us.